Welcome to Manchester & District NARPO

The National Association of Retired Police Officers

"To Serve those


themselves served"




Local Branches




Life After


Obituaries listed by year

    Statistically, this is the most popular part of the website; it's certainly the most populous.  You'll see that there is variety among even the brief obituaries here.  If you subscribe to the email circulations, you'll see that the differences are even more noticeable in the longer version.  I even get emails complaining about the paucity of information about the people who've died (which is particularly galling when the complainant isn't even a member).  The Branch has 1,750 members and I don't know even half of them.  If all it says in here is that they were a Branch Member, it's because that's all I know.  Long-standing members weren't required to give much information when they joined, for some we only have initials so we don't really know their name or age.  If I can contact the family I can get some information, but often the only available person is from the next generation and weren't born when the member joined the police so have no idea where they worked, or even which force they joined.
    That is why we continuously ask for you to submit your career profile.  For the 1,750 members I have only 38, which is barely more than 2%.  Come on!  You've probably made a will (I hope you've made a will), and doing this is no more likely to hasten your demise.  We all end up in this list, so make sure it says something about you; far more people will see this than a stone in a cemetery.  It won't take you long, because you have the information.  Send it, with a nice little photo if possible to the Branch Secretary; you'll be remembered as you want to be.
Recent Interesting Obituaries


He died on 20th June 2020, aged 66 years

Formerly of Manchester and GMP

  In 1969 Don commenced his policing career as a police cadet in Manchester and Salford police later becoming PC E 75 based at Moss Lane East, Moss Side, Manchester. After the amalgamation in 1974 Don remained on the E division where in those ensuing years he was awarded the Royal Humane Certificate for the protection of life from fire when he rescued a baby from a smoke filled flat. Later in July 1975 he was awarded the Queen’s Commendation for Brave Conduct where by unarmed and unsupported by armed officers he detained a man who later was confirmed as member of the provisional IRA. That man had shot and seriously wounded Inspector Emlyn Watkins E division.

  After experiencing a variety of divisional departments including community contact, Don was promoted to Sergeant in 1980 to M Division Altrincham. During his four years there he was the Area Sergeant and Detective Sergeant.

  He transferred to the CID at Salford Crescent in 1984. From there Don went on a full time scholarship to complete a degree at Manchester Polytechnic over 3 years.

  On return Don worked in personnel to complete an objective method for police promotion.

  Don was subsequently promoted to Inspector A division;

  DCI Cheadle Hulme where he led the Rachel McGrath murder.
  Det Supt Y Department – where in addition to many other matters he dealt with the “Secret Policeman”
  Det Supt A Division dealt with the murder of Raj Ahmed police motor cyclist.
  Chief Supt K Division Bolton
  Chief Supt Y Dept Professional Standards Branch

  After his Police career Don had a prestigious career as an Assistant Director at Salford City Council where he was responsible for Public Safety. The impact on crime his Council Department had, jointly with GMP, led to the BBC relocation from London to Salford.

  He also helped to set up the highly successful “Project Gulf” which tackled organised crime and received national acclamation for its success.

  More recently, Don was diagnosed with cancer, and he died at home surrounded by family.

Dennis HAND

He died on 12th December 2020, aged 85 years.

Formerly of Manchester & GMP

  Dennis was recruited to Manchester City Police and posted to the East Manchester Division as P.C.'C'250; I believe he spent his entire service there.

     On Monday, 23rd July, 1962, he and a civilian attempted to save a six-year-old boy from drowning in the Rochdale Canal in Ancoats.For this act, Dennis and the civilian, Joseph O'Brien were awarded the Honorary Testimonial of the Roytal Humane Society on Vellum.

     Following his retirement from the police, Dennis went to live in Prestatyn, where he became the Secretary of the Denbighshire Division of SSAFA, and was recognised by being awarded their Meritorious Service Certificate.

Melvyn Hague

He died on 1st January 2021, aged 87 years.

Formerly of Manchester & GMP


     Melvyn Hague passed his police entrance exams in 1953 and joined the Manchester City Police, initially serving on ‘A Division’ as a PC before being transferred into the CID and promoted to Detective Sergeant, posted to Moss Side.  While stationed at Moss Side, John Stalker was his junior DS.  Melvyn then served on the Regional Crime Squad and recalled arresting a suspect wanted for murder whom they had put under surveillance and nicked just over the border in Scotland.  It was then realised amongst the team that they actually at that time had no jurisdiction in Scotland, and therefore the arrest may have been unlawful.  The ‘Ways and Means Act’ came into force, whereupon the suspect was swiftly driven back into England and formally arrested. 

     During his 30 years with the Manchester City, Manchester & Salford and GMP there were a number of highlights which included setting up of the Manchester Firearms Unit.  Whilst doing so he attended a firearms course at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia, USA. There he was trained to handle the Winchester pump action shotgun, becoming one of only two officers in the GMP authorised to use the Winchester shotgun on duty*. The FBI presented him with a shoulder holster, which has been passed on to his nephew together with the instruction booklets for the Winchester and a Walther PPK that Mel carried later in his career while working for Special Branch.

     He worked as a close protection officer and on one occasion was looking after Sir John Herman, at the time Chief Constable of the RUC, who was visiting England and the GMP.  He recalled while on a car ride with Mr Herman having to drive past a PC who was in a fight with a couple of local thugs who were getting the better of him.  They had had to keep going in case it was some sort of trap.  He stated it was one of hardest things he had ever had to do but as they could not stop all he could do was radio it in. 

     For the final 6 years of his police career Mel was a Detective Inspector based at Manchester Airport, from where he retired on the 1st of August 1983.

[ * I believe the second officer was long standing firearms officer and instructor, Henry Milner, who died on 12th December.]